
(I didn't even use a bread pan, so excuse any weird shaping issues here!) It works great for sandwiches too, and that's a must for us. Oh, and I do not have any sort of mixer or bread maker, so I do this with a wooden spoon and my bare hands!
This recipe can be halved and made in a gallon-sized zip lock bag as a fun activity for kids, making two small loaves or one big one.
Mix together:
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 1/2 tsp yeast
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 cups warm water
*1/3 cup ground flax seed
*1/3 cup dry milk
*these ingredients are optional and adjustable
Let rest for ten minutes. Then add:
2 cups white flour
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt
Mix with a dough hook attachment or a wooden spoon until combined. Then add 1 more cup of white flour, gradually. Knead until combined and no longer sticky. Let rest ten minutes. Separate and shape into two loaves and place into greased loaf pans. Let rise in a warm spot for 30 minutes. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Remove and butter top. Let cool before cutting.
2 comments:
Looks like a great recipe. Have you ever tried 100% whole wheat, omitting the white flour? If you are looking to do that, I have a few tips that will help you avoid a dense brick of bread. When I was experimenting with recipes, I desperately wanted to find one with JUST whole wheat flour. But, I always got bricks when they baked. After a bit of research, I found that adding gluten, soy lecithin, citric acid and ginger make a huge difference. Enjoy your bread baking journey!
Abby, this bread is excellent! We love it and have made a few loaves as gifts. Thank you for the great recipe!
Post a Comment