Monday, December 27, 2010

Cashew Chicken

I got this recipe from my parents' Stake cookbook and adapted it a bit. It's one of our favorites and one that my friends in dinner group request--I take that as a sign it's good! I often serve it with Asian Coleslaw.

Cashew Chicken


(Yes, I am aware of my great food photography skills.)

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders
oil for cooking
corn starch to coat chicken
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced ginger root
1 cup (or more) cashews

SAUCE:
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
garlic salt to taste
pepper to taste

Cut chicken into bit sized pieces and coat with cornstarch. Shake off any extra cornstarch. Heat oil; add garlic and ginger. Stir fry for 30 seconds (do not let this burn!). Add chicken and cook until done (10-15 minutes). Mix sauce ingredients together. When the chicken is done, add cashews. Pour sauce over the chicken and stir to thicken. Season to taste. (sometimes I add powdered ginger here) Serves 5-6 with rice.

Asian Coleslaw


1 bag chopped coleslaw mix (with the carrots and purple cabbage)
3 green onions, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup copped peanuts
Sesame Ginger salad dressing

Mix all ingredients together (go light with the dressing). Add more peanuts if desired.

No comments: