Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Steak and Salad

Here are two great recipes that my sister-in-law, Teri, makes. I made them and baked potatoes last night for dinner group. I am NOT a fan of any sort of moldy cheese, but I can't get enough of this meat/cheese/onion combo. It's a great dinner any night or a quick yet impressive meal if you have guests (or in-laws) over for dinner.



Flake Steak with Gorgonzola
1 flank steak
1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp. olive oil
a few shakes of garlic salt
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste--I like pepper)
Gorgonzola, crumbled
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
Trim steak and score diagonally. Combine first six ingredients. Place steak in and marinade in Ziploc bag. Refrigerate for 4 hours or longer.

Either using a gas grill with a medium flame, or your broiler, grill steak for 6-8 minutes on each side for medium rare. Let meat stand for 10 minutes before cutting thinly against the grain.

While eat is grilling/broiling, caramelize sliced onion. Top sliced steak with onions and Gorgonzola.


Vidalia and Pecan Salad
Romaine lettuce
Bacon, crumbled
Feta cheese, crumbled
Grape tomatoes
Glazed pecans (for pies)
Sweet Vidalia Onion dressing (I use Ken's)

Toss together and serve. Remember that a little of the dressing goes a long way.

No comments: