Monday, November 1, 2010

Cranberry Chicken and Pumpkin Pie Dessert

I make each of these recipes once a year...well, this year I made the dessert twice. They scream fall to me. I serve them with green beans and stuffing (Stove Top...shhhh). They are, again, quick and easy.
The Cranberry Chicken recipe comes from my Teri-in-law and isn't the prettiest dish. I affectionately call it "ugly chicken." It's good, so give it a try!

The Pumpkin Pie Dessert is one of my favorite things. Even if you don't like pumpkin pie, you'll like this. Trust me.
-------------------------------------------------------------

(See, it's u-g-l-y. Take a deep breath and make it anyway.)

Cranberry Chicken
enough chicken to fill a 9x13 dish (I use breasts and thighs--boneless)
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
1 small can mandarin oranges
1/2 of the juice from the oranges
1 tsp. creamy horseradish (I add a little more--I like horsey)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Salt and pepper the chicken and place it in the baking dish. Mix together cranberry sauce, oranges, juice, and horseradish . Pour over chicken and bake, uncovered, for 1 hour.
-------------------------------------------------------------



Pumpkin Pie Dessert
1 yellow cake mix (reserve 1 cup)

ADD:
1 egg
1 cup butter (at room temperature)
Spread thick mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.

BAKE: cake for 20 minutes

BEAT:
1 large can seasoned pumpkin pie filling
2 eggs
1 small can evaporated milk
Pour evenly over baked crust

To reserved cake ADD:
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cube butter
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Mix together until crumbly and sprinkle on top of the filling mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

Serve hot or cold with whipped cream or ice cream. If you let it cool it cuts nicely into squares.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

We'll have to try the chicken... in the south we call the dessert Crustless Pumpkin pie and seriously... it must be sinful, it is soooo good!!!